With most families having both parents at work, and having to raise kids at the same time, it can be hard to fit physical activity into your daily life. Here are a few easy ways to continue with your daily schedule and add in a little physical activity as well:
- Buy a set of hand weights and play a round of "Simon Says" with your kids - you do it with the weights, they do it without.
- Do yard work.
- Exercise while watching TV.
- While your children are at soccer practice, walk around the field and chat with your friends instead of sitting down.
- Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV.
- Wash the car by hand.
- Park further from the store or work and walk more.
- Play with your kids 30 minutes a day.
- Walk to a co-workers desk rather than send an e-mail.
Daily physical activity can help prevent heart disease and stroke by strengthening your heart muscle, lowering your blood pressure, raising your high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels (good cholesterol) and lowering low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels (bad cholesterol), improving blood flow, and increasing your heart's working capacity.
- Lowers stress levels.
- Improves your mood.
- Helps you sleep better at night.
- Gives you more energy.
- Helps your work towards/stay at healthy weight.
- Keeps you looking and feeling good.
Physical activity can also reduce many different risk factors. Such as:
- The risk of dying prematurely.
- The risk of dying prematurely from heart disease.
- The risk of developing diabetes.
- The risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Blood pressure in people who already have high blood pressure.
- The risk of developing colon cancer.
- Feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Helps control weight.
- Helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- Helps older adults become stronger and better able to move about without falling.
- Promotes psychological well-being.
With all of the different types of physical activity to do, a person usually wants to know, how many calories did I burn? Visit NutriStrategy, which gives the calories burned information on a variety of physical activity ideas to do from sewing, to standing in line at the grocery store, or doing yoga for an hour. Take a look on how easy it is to fit physical activity into your daily lifestyle.
Places to Do Physical Activity
Although it is easy enough to do physical activity around your house, sometimes its nice to get out of the house and get some fresh air or to do physical activity a different spot then where you have family time
Here are a few places locally that you can either bring your whole family or go by your self to add in a little bit more physical activity to your busy life
- The Stephen F. Austin State University Recreation Center
- The C.L. Simon Parks and Recreation Center
- Pecan Park
- Nacogdoches Mall
- Lanana Creek Trail
- Pineywoods Native Plant Center
- Clint Dempsey Soccer Complex